- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh grated ginger (3 inch piece)
- 1 large red apple, chopped
- 1.5 lbs (about 700g) carrots, chopped
- 700ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 400ml can coconut milk
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Vegeta to taste (vegetarian stock powder* - this is optional)
- Heat the coconut oil in a soup pot, add the onion and cover. Cook slowly on low heat, stirring occaisionally, until onion is caramelised - about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and add apple and carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute or so.
- Pour in the stock, raise heat, stir through and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the carrots are fully cooked and soft about 10 - 15 minutes. Add vegeta* to taste.
- Transfer to a blender or use immersion blender and blend on high until soup is smooth.
- Add coconut milk and blend for another 30 seconds. Return to low heat and let the flavours cook through for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with garnish of your choice, I like chives and ham.
The stock powder called vegeta can be found in Polish food shops. I grew up with this and use it in everything, it adds so much flavour! If you can, I recommend getting some and seeing how versatile it is for yourself!